Home Electrical Hazards to Avoid

Electricity has been an essential part of our daily lives. It makes our appliances work, provides light, heat and generally makes our life more convenient. However, with these benefits, there are also risks of electrical hazards that come with it. Luckily, you can keep yourself and your family safe from these dangers by eliminating them. Here are the most common electrical hazards at home and how to avoid them.

Outlets near Water or Moisture

We might not notice it but there are rare times when some of your electrical outlets are installed on places high in moisture content or near a water source. When installing outlets in the kitchen, bathroom, and other places with water make sure to place it somewhere that is far from moisture or water source. An electric shock can occur when water reaches the electrical outlet and could cause damage or injury when it happens. Always remember not to use any type of appliances when you’re on an area with wet floor to avoid electric shock.

Poor Wiring Quality

Poor wiring and wiring defects poses a great electrical hazard in your home. There are lots of possible accidents that could stem from it such as power surges, faults and even fire. Have a qualified and licensed electrician check and install power wirings for your home. When you noticed worn out or damaged electrical wires, be sure to fix or replace them immediately to ensure the safety of your family. Check out powerproelectricalproducts.com.au for high quality wirings and other electrical stuffs you need.

Extension Cords

As much as possible, it is best to avoid using extension cords around your home. However, there are times when we really need it. To be safe, be sure to place the extension cord in an area that is away from pathways to avoid tripping or accidents. Don’t forget to put socket closures on sockets that aren’t used. Lastly, avoid plugging in too much appliances all at once to avoid overloading a circuit.

Bulbs and Other Lighting Fixtures

Light bulbs and lighting fixtures may not look that dangerous at all but they can still be a source of an electrical hazard when not handled properly. There’s a possibility that lights can cause an electrical fire when they are placed near flammable materials such as curtains, upholstery and other items. When replacing a bulb, be sure to turn off the wall switch first to avoid electric shock. Also, never touch a bulb with damp or wet hands. Using the right wattage also helps prevent overheating of the light bulb.

Using Water on Electrical Fires

In worst cases when an electrical fire breaks out in your home, never use water to extinguish it since it will only make it worse and even put you at risk of being electrocuted. Use a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. If you don’t have one, just turn off the electrical power of your home and contact the fire brigade.

Reducing these electrical hazards at home can lessen the risk of accidents and injuries from happening. Keep your family safe by avoiding these common electrical hazards at home.

 

Tags:

 

More Posts in Small Business

 
 

Share this Post



 
 
 
 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *